Sunday, July 26, 2015

Ruthie's Ramblings: Welcoming a New Friend


Once upon a time, I stood by the front door with my twin sister. I was waiting for the arrival of my long lost best friend Kit Kittredge.


My other sisters were waiting too, but they were not nearly as anxious. They had separated into clumps and were chatting.

 
Molly and Emily were deep in a discussion about hair ribbons and bobby socks.
 
 
Isabelle broke away from Nellie and Aighmi*'s Molly and turned to me.

 

"Don't worry, Ruthie!" she said, sensing my nervousness. Isabelle is the oldest, and she has a way of always knowing what we younger girls are thinking.
 
 
I giggled somewhat shrilly at her, but didn't turn from the door. Wendy put her arm around me.

 
I turned to Wendy. "Why isn't Kit here? In her letter, she said she would arrive ten minutes ago!"
 
Wendy smiled at me. "I'm sure she just got a little delayed. She is coming from... where, Georgia?"
 
"I think so," I said unsmilingly.
 
"Georgia is more than ten minutes away, you know. I'm sure she'll come any minute now."

 
 
I wished I had a magic wand so that- BING!- Kit could suddenly, magically appear.

Just as the thought crossed my mind, the screen door squeaked open and a girl with a bundle opened the door. IT WAS KIT!!!!

 
"KIT!" I shouted.
 
"Ruthie," Kit beamed at me.
 
 
Before we could say anything else, we started hugging each other.
 
 
"I've missed you," Kit said seriously.
 
"I've missed you too!" I exclaimed.
 
It was so wonderful to have my friend back! I couldn't wait for her to meet everybody.
 
 
Wendy was very excited to see Kit after I'd told her so much about her. After introducing herself, she began taking Kit around so she could meet all of the other girls.

 
When Kit walked towards the first group, Wendy stepped back. Kit obviously wanted to introduce herself. My friend has never been shy. ;)


Isabelle immediately began oohing and aahing over Kit's skirt and her hair and she and Nellie told her how excited they were to meet her. Molly, a little bit shy, hung back but still greeted Kit warmly.

 
I watched by the door.

 
MyLittleMegara's Molly was feeling very huggy that day and hugged both Kit AND Emily to celebrate.

 
Molly can be very affectionate.
 
 
Samantha, Josefina, and Elizabeth were also very excited to see Kit. It was Samantha's idea to get an impromptu family portrait to commemorate the occasion.
 
 
It's sort of hard to believe that there are 11 of us here, now! It's like having a big, wonderful sleepover all day every day. It's also hard to believe that my long lost best friend is no longer long lost... and is standing right by me while I type this! I love you, Kit! Welcome home.
 
Really Truly Ruthie <3



2 comments: