Sunday, July 5, 2015

Samantha's Scoop: Going to the Museum With Nellie

Hello, everybody! If you read my intro post, you saw that I love Ancient Egypt and going to the museum. When Nellie came, I couldn't wait to take her with me to go see the museum, too!

First stop: an "Egyptian tomb." I love this exhibit, it's so neat!


Nellie and I stopped to sit by this tomb painting and get our photo taken. Nellie had never seen anything like it and was fascinated into silence.


I pointed out some of the details about the painting. I've done some research and was able to share all sorts of facts about the hieroglyphic alphabet and the people in the painting.


"Oh, mercy, Samantha! This is fascinating! I hope you'll share the books you read with me."

"Of course, Nellie!"


"That's a scarab. The ancient Egyptians thought they were very important. Stones carved to look like scarabs were used as amulets and in jewelry and royal seals. A special kind of scarab amulet was used in mummification known as a heart scarab."

"How was a beetle used in mummification?"

"They thought a scarab amulet would protect the body if it was tucked into the linen wrappings around a mummy."

"Oh. Are we going to see a mummy?"

"Not a real one, no."

"Oh. That's too bad."

I was a little surprised. "That wouldn't scare you?"

Nellie laughed. "Why would I be scared of an old dead body?"


Nellie looked at the rows of seated Egyptian gods, confused.


"What is it, Nellie?"

"Samantha, why do those people have animal heads?"

"The Egyptians worshiped them as gods."

"But why do they have animal heads?"

"... ummm... I don't know."


After exploring the tomb for a while and coming up with reasons why the Egyptian gods may have been human/animal hybrids, we left to go visit Kit and Ruthie. Emily told us about them after she went to the museum and we couldn't wait to meet them.


Sure enough, they were right where we expected them to be, hanging out in their tree house.


Nellie and I waved, catching Ruthie's attention first.


"Hello," Ruthie said, "I'm Ruthie!"

"I'm Samantha!" I called.

"I'm Nellie," Nellie replied.

"We're so excited to see you! Emily told us all about you!" I burst out.

"Oh, you know Emily! She was very nice. I'm so happy we're getting more doll visitors!"


Kit was also excited to see us.

"It's so nice to get all these visitors," she said while beaming.

I enjoyed getting to meet Kit and Ruthie and I enjoyed spending the day with my best friend and I enjoyed going to an old tomb and I enjoyed exploring the museum and... I think you get the idea.
- Miss Samantha

2 comments: